Muscle gain program?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan3000 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Tyler S
    Participant
    • Topic Started: 3
    • Replies: 2

Hey all

I’m after the kind of program that will help me build muscle while also utilising functional movement. I know how to build muscle with weight training (Sets and Reps, gradually increasing load and training to failure) Is it the same with calisthenics? Should I use a weight vest and gradually add more weight every time I train?

I plan to do a lot of pullups, muscle ups, push ups, dips, squats, pistol squats etc.

Any advice or workout suggestions much appreciated.

Also I’ve just decided to go vegan if that matters.

Milo of Croton
    Participant
    • Topic Started: 0
    • Replies: 3

Hey mate, yes you can just add weight, but that’s not typically how bodyweight training is done. Think about the kind of rep ranges that are best for hypertrophy (around 10-12 reps- or around 25-55s TUT), and pick exercises that put you in that range. For example if you can do 20 bodyweight rows try raising your feet to make it harder and put you in that hypertrophy range. Volume is even more important for muscle growth, so I’d do a minimum of 4 working sets approaching failure in the last set. If you’re doing a hard exercise that you can only do 3-5 reps (for example), you can still get enough volume if you get enough rest between sets and do more sets. Your energy and protein intake matter, so basically make sure you’re in an energy surpluss when you’re trying to build muscle (more energy in than out). You need a variety of protein sources if you’re vegan to make sure you’re getting an adequate amino profile, and enough protein in total. Hope that helps

Tyler S
    Participant
    • Topic Started: 3
    • Replies: 2

Hi Milo. Thats great advice thank you 😀 I’m starting a push pull program so I’ll focus on 8-12 reps for each exercise.

I hope I don’t sound dumb but…
    What is TUT?
    How do I figure out my energy surplus?

re protein, yeh I’ve been reading a lot about ways to get the right amount of protein from a vegan diet so getting used to that at the moment.

alexg
    Participant
    • Topic Started: 5
    • Replies: 9

Hey Tyler,

TUT = Time under tension – don’t speed through your reps, and make sure to do enough sets to accumulate enough TUT in each workout, as Milo explained.

Here are some good articles from Ads to start a plant based diet

Ryan3000
    Participant
    • Topic Started: 0
    • Replies: 1

Good advice above ^^

With both cali and weights you just gotta go hard to build muscle. Break those muscles down with enough reps and sets, and don’t stop til you know you’re gonna feel it the next day. If you go hard you’ll get hard (muscle wise)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.